Time for a quick review of my macbook now I've had it for a few days.

First up technical specifications

  • 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
  • 1066MHz frontside bus
  • 2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3
  • 160GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive4
  • Weight 4.5 pounds
  • thickness when closed 0.95"
Ports
  • MagSafe power port
  • Gigabit Ethernet port
  • Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
  • Mini DisplayPort
  • Audio line in
  • Audio line out
  • Kensington lock slot
Comms

Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Obviously there are much more options like SSD and faster CPU etc but I just went with the standard setup.

Design

One of the most striking parts about the Macbook is the design they look excellent PC laptop designers really need to start taking notice on how to make a laptop look nice so many standard laptops look so darn fugly.




Very sleek aluminum body with a pretty looking Apple logo in the centre the lid opens and closes using the thumbscoope which apparantly they spent a lot of time designing :/. It does have a nice feel the lid closes nicely into place without the need for latches etc



Even the under side looks very sleek though there are no vents it barely gets hot even now as I type I have it rested on my bed and its only lukewarm compared to my Sony Vaio which mayaswell be on fire.


The screen is of the glossy kind very clear and bright one of the really nice innovations to the mac that they really need to bring to the PC are the gestures for example using 4 fingers by flicking them to the top of the pad automatically hides all open windows so you can quickly get to your desktop and flick backing down again brings them up so you can see all your windows spread out as in the image at the end of the post more examples are the pinch to zoom in and out and twisting 2 fingers to turn images to name a few.




The keyboard is the kind I love, always go for them if I have the option, the ones on the macbook are great have a nice responsive feel and are a smooth soft texture.









On the side you have the connections which include the magsafe power connection, 10/100/1000GB Ethernet, 2 USB ports, monitor connection and input/output audio ports these are probably one of the few things that let the macbook down is its lack of ports a few more USB and a firewire connection would have been nice.

On the other side you have a standard 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Apparently when all the little dots light up on the side it means you need to replace your battery a little feature but nice non the less.

Summary: Overall excellent and this is coming from a guy that's always been a PC user and for many years actually hated mac's but now I must say I've been converted they've come a long way since the days when I really disliked them and have trumped PC's in many ways even things as simple as the power cord are designed really nice with lots of love and attention, you can tell they actually want people to enjoy there macs in every way possible who else gives you a cloth to clean your screen.

I really should review the OS but that's a review in itself so that can wait for another day but for now here are a few images of my desktop.


Digg ThisAdd To Del.icio.us Add To Furl Add To Reddit Fav This With Technorati Add To Yahoo MyWeb Add To Newsvine Add To Google Bookmarks Add To Bloglines Add To Ask Add To Windows Live Add To Slashdot Stumble This

Comments (5)

On 2009年3月19日 9:56 , Tim さんのコメント...

I was also thinking of getting a new notebook, and the Macbook does sound like a nice change from regular laptops.

I tried doing some drawing on my ultra portable sony vaio, and I honestly couldn't see where the cursor was! So a laptop with a nice large widescreen would be ideal. Though I'll have to slow down on my otaku spending first. (^^;)

I'll be interested in reading up on the OS review when you get it typed up. Also let me know if you can change the dialogs in the OS to Japanese. (^_-)

Tim.

 
On 2009年3月19日 10:25 , Tibul さんのコメント...

I went with the 13" screen as there about right for me nice and portable but not too small there are the 15" and 17" models but they tend to be a little pricier as they are the macbook pro range.

Yup the OS can be changed to Japanese easily and to switch between kana and english keyboard input you just hold the apple key and press the space bar.

 
On 2009年3月19日 19:13 , 匿名 さんのコメント...

Nice review, you are just making the wait for mine to arrive even worse now :(

Mine should be here in the next couple of days, I just hope it will arrive for me intime for the weekend.

Junjinkai.

 
On 2009年3月30日 18:50 , Tim さんのコメント...

Just wanted to let you know I moved my blog to http://timkoh.info so you'll need to update your link on the blogroll.

Cheers!
Tim.

 
On 2009年3月30日 18:58 , Tibul さんのコメント...

Done :)